Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why I Went To Iraq

My wife and I had a young man move into our home for a time. We had known him since his early teenage years. The young man was Matt Wallace, and he continued to live with us for many months due to family problems. He reminded myself of a younger and much dumber me. He began working, paying his bills, all the things a young man should do. He got his act together. We encouraged him to join the military for the educational benefits and opportunities that had helped both Yvette and myself. Matt joined the Army, and while on patrol in Baghdad in July of 2006, he was hit by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device), or a roadside bomb. He was burned over 99% of his body, yet was able to move the body of his Sergeant, who was driving the Bradly Fighting Vehicle, return the burned out vehicle to Camp, walk in and give his SITREP, (Situation Report). He then passed out and never recovered consciousness. Matt is now interred at Arlington National Cemetery. I went to do counter IED work so that other families don't have to visit Arlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment