Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Getting Settled In Iraq












It has been a week and a half that I've been in Iraq now. I'm getting settled into my room, aka Hooch or CHU - Civilian Housing Unit. There are wet CHU's - with a bathroom, and dry CHU's - walk 100 feet or so to use the head, aka latrine, or shower.

I haven't been too many places around the base yet. The Dining Facility or DFAC is a daily stop. There are several around, but the closest is 1/2 mile away. I've been to the PX, Post Exchange for all the little things you need but can't bring with you.

So far I've had to buy, in no particular order:

  • 2 sets of sheets and pillow cases
  • Blanket
  • Comforter
  • 2 small carpets
  • Dustbuster
  • 4 pairs of pants online
  • 2 laundry bags
  • Assorted toiletries
  • pocket sized notebook
  • wet wipes
  • Kleenex
  • Snack food that I have yet to open
  • Gold bond powder for my feet
  • Cell Phone
  • Calling Card
  • Swiffer sweeper and hand duster
  • A carton of Smokes
The job is going well, in fact it is really easy and quite boring. I am at work from 8 am until 5 pm, but most of that time is spent looking for something to do. We might average 2 hours a day of actual work! Boring!
So I have started little projects, like taking Duct Tape and packing foam and making a secure storage area for my laptop in my Bug Out Gear Bag. Or making step to have for the door of my Hooch. I have to share the room, and right now my roommate is cool, but he leaves Thursday for Mosul in Northern Iraq.
I've also started on making some shelves using some of the plywood used to ship equipment here. So I am doing more in my off time than at work.
Time to post up some pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment